We are hiring!
At Sappi, we are a leading global provider with a reputation for delivering high-quality sustainable Woodfibre products and solutions for the global markets. We lead through our values centred around safety, integrity, courage, making smart decisions which we execute with speed. We are seeking unique people who believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive and safe environment.
Were on the lookout for an experienced General Manager Research and Developmentto oversee research and product development for either Specialised Cellulose or Pulp/Paper and adjacent products.
As a General Manager Research and Development, you will be responsible for:
- Manage research deliverables for the research and development centre on an annual basis considering available resources (equipment, people and raw materials), product development priorities and customer demands.
- Define the priorities for research and product development projects on an annual basis and agree on these with the business team leaders in the various product segments.
- Ensure that the correct processes and people are in place for safe working conditions in the research centre. Ensure that the correct processes, procedures and safety appointments are in place for safe working conditions in the R&D centre, and to comply with OHS Act requirements.
- Participate in contract negotiations with key customers. Define the technical components of customer contracts in terms of product quality, consistency and potential product applications.
- Define the scientific standards for developing products to customer specifications and for the investigation of product defects. Ensure that all the research personnel understand and apply the standards.
- Provide guidance to Head of departments on how to effectively manage their teams.
- Oversee the recruitment, recognition, remuneration, development and discipline of the research teams. Take direct responsibility for the development of direct reports.
- Do demand planning for current and future requirements and determine the need to create additional skill pools for the team.
- Set annual performance objectives and define personal development plans for direct reports, as well as continuously review said objectives and development plans with the supervisor.
- Masters Degree in Sciences, Engineering or higher
- A minimum of ten (10) years research experience within the pulp and paper industry
- Post-graduate qualification in management would be advantageous
- Post-graduate qualification in pulp and paper science would be advantageous
- At least ten (10) years broad managerial experience in a manufacturing or research environment
- Opportunity to work within a global organisation that continues to thrive in a rapidly changing world even after 80 years of existence
- Learning and development programmes to fast-track your career within Sappi
- Opportunities to travel (dependent on the role)
- Market-leading leave benefits
- Employee wellbeing benefits