FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CONSTRUCTION ECONOMICS
LECTURER / SENIOR LECTURER (CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT) (1 POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in those aspects encountered in the Built Environment that are taught in the degree programmes on offer in the Department;
- Developing a research programme in an appropriate area of expertise or expanding existing research programmes;
- Publishing research articles in the foremost national/international accredited journals;
- Supervising postgraduate masters and doctoral students within the research focus areas;
- Performing assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature);
- Participating in the Departments community service programmes.
- A BSc degree from a university in one of the relevant undergraduate programmes recognised by the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP);
- Candidates for the post of Lecturer should be in possession of a completed masters degree or an equivalent degree of an equally advanced level;
- At least three years of tertiary education experience or three years of industry experience with some involvement in tertiary education ;
- 1 Publication (peer-reviewed article or peer-reviewed conference paper) or
- Book chapter(s), recognized articles outputs, or industry-recognized outputs in a commensurate field;
- The candidate must be registered or already in the process of registering as a construction manager or as a construction project manager with the statutory council of the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP).
- Same as for Lecturer, plus;
- A PhD degree that follows on the previous qualification;
- At least five years of tertiary education experience or five years of industry experience with some involvement in tertiary education;
- At least 2 articles published in DHET-accredited journals or a DHET-accredited book;
- At least 2 other publication outputs (peer reviewed conference paper(s) / book chapter(s) / industry recognized outputs in a commensurate field;
- Supervision / co-supervision of Masters students to completion or proven management experience in industry.
- The candidate must be registered as a construction manager or as a construction project manager with the statutory council of the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES) :
- Show the ability to teach undergraduate and postgraduate classes;
- For Construction Management, thorough knowledge of Building Services;
- Thorough knowledge of Building Science
- Thorough knowledge of Construction Finance;
- Thorough knowledge of CCS, BIM and or other construction programmes;
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in MS Office programmes, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Orientation in the use of electronic technologies and aids in the construction or built environment;
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work well in a team;
- The capability to operate collaboratively in multi-disciplinary activities.
- Evidence of teaching excellence;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Departments needs;
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- NRF rating or have applied for one.
- The research field must be aligned with one of the research focus areas of the Department of Construction Economics and or EBIT Faculty.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za , and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In Applying For This Post, Please Attach
- A cover letter summarizing relevant experience and the areas of your teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
No application will be considered after the closing date or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms A Segeri, Tel: (012) 420 2100 / E-mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org) for application-related enquiries, and Prof BG Zulch, Tel: (012) 420 4972 / 2581 (E-mail: Benita.email@example.com) for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2024, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
By applying for this vacancy, the candidates consent to undergo verification of personal credentials and related information, including, but not limited to, qualifications, criminal record, credit record, and current and historic disciplinary proceedings as part of the selection process.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.