The Unit Manager will be responsible for coordinating improved quality nursing care by ensuring compliance to professional and ethical practice.
The incumbent will also be responsible for monitoring and ensuring that nursing care and service delivery is implemented and practiced within a multi-disciplinary quality assurance team. In accordance the incumbent will be accountable for coordinating capacity building, mentoring and training.
- Manage acuities and skill mix in such a way as to ensure cost effective quality care
- Manage all costs emanating from the department
- Ensure correct billing, stock management and purchasing
- Facilitate timeous and accurate compilation of files
· Identify quality improvement opportunities and ensure appropriate strategy and Quality Improvement initiatives are developed and measured
· Investigate all negative incidents and ensure appropriate capturing on IMS
· Monitor safety standards in accordance with the Machine and Occupational Safety Act (Act 6 of 1983). Report all accidents and incidents to Line Manager / Safety Representatives
· Ensure compliance with protocols, policies and Acts
· Ensure that all equipment is in working order and properly maintained
· Control of asset register
· Ensure the unit is providing safe, cost effective quality patient care in line with the Clinical Governance strategy and evidence based practice
· Evaluate the patient’s journey through patient experience and stakeholder input
· Evaluate nursing quality indicators and clinical outcomes
· Communicate effectively with patients regarding their care
· Promote health and well being of patients and staff
· Ensure the principles of infection prevention and all standard precautions are adhered to
· Implementing group quality initiatives
· Actively participate as a member of a team to achieve goals
· Active involvement in own professional development to maintain a satisfactory level of skill and knowledge
· Keep up to date with Netcare’s evolving policies and procedures
· Keep abreast of current research in the applicable discipline
· Create an environment where staff are aware of the role they play in the provision of quality nursing care and their value to the organization
· Assign decision making, authority, tasks and responsibility to appropriate persons in order to maximize organisation and employee effectiveness.
· Develop a talented nursing workforce.
· Co-operate with Netcare Education Division to ensure appropriate nursing training for the delivery of quality care
· Facilitate a culture that is supportive of talent management and the initiation of required implementations to hone nursing talent
· Monitor staff attendance and/or absenteeism and ensure action is taken accordingly
· Enforce staff dress code within and on leaving the Hospital
· Facilitate effective change and conflict management
· Orientation of new staff and students
· Facilitate staff development both personal and professional
· Coaching and mentoring of staff
· Ensure professional conduct and appearance of staff
· Promote staff wellbeing
· Work effectively and co-operatively with others to establish and maintain good working relationships that are mutually beneficial.
· Create and maintain a positive environment where the differences of others are recognized, understood, and valued, so that all can reach their full potential and maximize their contributions.
· Develop collaborative relationships to help accomplish work goal
· Maintain customer intimacy through building relationships with doctors, nursing staff, suppliers and building patient loyalty
· Build strategic inter-departmental relationships to help achieve business goals at Exco and departmental level within the hospitals
· Foster an effective working relationship with service providers
· Foster an effective working relationship with Public liability
- A relevant nursing qualification (Diploma in General Nursing/ B Cur Degree) or equivalent NQF 7 qualification
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council as a Registered Nurse
Compliance with the SANC code for a Registered Nurse and all applicable health care legislations
· An intermediate level of Computer proficiency
· 2 or more years experience in a private hospital setting
· Experience in clinical leadership