Weylandts is a leading innovator in the furniture industry, dedicated to creating exceptional and comfortable living spaces for our customers. As we continue to expand our product offerings, we are seeking a highly skilled and dynamic Prototype Specialist. You will be responsible for leading furniture prototypes of upholstered products.
This position will be based at our Cape Town DC in Epping.
- Lead the development of furniture prototypes.
- Be the link between design & prototype execution.
- Ensuring that prototypes accurately represent the design intent, meet quality standards and production efficiencies.
- Collaborate closely with the design team to understand brief and transform into tangible prototypes, ensuring feasibility and functionality.
- Apply expert skills and craftsmanship to create prototypes that showcase the highest level of quality, attention to detail and meet design brief provided.
- Continuous improvement through the development of rigorous testing protocols to assess the quality, safety and performance of the prototypes. Make necessary adjustments and refinements to improve prototype quality.
- Create detailed documentation for prototypes, providing clear instructions for production teams based on prototype specifications.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment within the R&D team / Production team.
- Grade 12
- Completion of a relevant upholstery certification or training program is preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience prototype development and hands-on prototyping.
- Possess intimate knowledge of materials such as leather, fabric, foam, frame making, springs, strapping, and other related materials used in manufacturing of soft furnishings.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure the successful execution of prototypes.
- Excellent communication
- Attention to detail and a keen eye for precision and quality.
- Strong ability to read and interpret furniture design plans, sketches, or drawings.